June 21, 2011
University Housing honors outstanding scholars
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale's University Housing recently honored a group of exceptional students as University Housing Outstanding Scholars for the 2010-2011 academic year.
To earn the University Housing Outstanding Scholar award a student must live on campus, have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75, be actively involved in SIUC organizations and activities, and have a positive impact on the University community. Along with proof of scholarship and efforts to enrich the campus and/or community, applications also require a brief essay describing the importance of the time the student has spent at SIUC and reference letters from faculty, staff or Registered Student Organization advisers attesting to active involvement by the students.
According to University Housing officials, the award recipients are a successful and committed group who are achieving academically while very active in campus and community groups and activities. Typically, the students hold jobs as well. Award winners earned certificates and recognition at the annual Academic Honors Reception.
The 2011 University Housing Outstanding Scholars, listed by hometown along with major, year just completed at SIUC and where available, names of parents, are:
• Lindsay Ann Mitacek, communication disorders and sciences, (Spanish and psychology minors), junior, James and Maureen Mitacek.
• Benjamin Northshield, French and psychology, senior, Tom and Dena Northshield.
• Jayme Renee Russell, elementary education, senior, William and Carolyn Russell.
• Benjamin Chamness, business education (marketing minor), senior, Mike and Virginia Chamness.
• Leah Shirley, accounting (finance minor), sophomore, Rhonda Shirley.
• Brock Edward Kabat, biological science (chemistry minor), junior, Mark and Lori Kabat.
• Lindsay Rose DuBois, early childhood education (Spanish minor), sophomore, Thomas DuBois and Nancy Bray.
• Danielle Ryan Sheley, architectural studies (history minor), sophomore, Ryan and Kris Sheley.
• Breanna Cundiff, psychology (criminology minor), junior, Brian and Wannetah Cundiff.
• Joshua Mech, aviation flight management, sophomore, Timothy and Darlene Mech.
• Weiran Wang, finance, junior.