June 02, 2011
Children can enjoy 'Dawg Days at the Rec'
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- "Dawg Days at the Rec" is back for summer 2011, offering a wide variety of recreational opportunities for children ages 3-12 at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Recreational Sports and Services is sponsoring full-day and half-day camps and programs that include rock climbing, outdoor adventures, team sports, fitness, exploration, drama and much more.
“You can’t have much more summer fun than this -- spending it at the Rec. Each week is different. Each day is different, for that matter. Outdoor activities, diversity, traditional sports and games, a little history and of course, pool time, are part of every day. Join us and make this summer unforgettable,” said Kathy Hollister, assistant director of special populations for Recreational Sports and Services.
Youngsters ages 3-6 can attend the half-day afternoon Kids on the Move programs this summer. All of the programs include time for swimming each day. Check-in is at 12:15 p.m. with camp from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.
The schedule for these camps, along with a brief description of each, includes:
• June 20-24: Camp Rec, children will learn to work together and enjoy the fitness aspects of play as well as enjoying craft time to develop fine motor skills.
• June 27-July 1: Action Zone, an adventure camp with new activities and meeting new friends.
• July 11-15: What’s in Your Backyard? Campers will enjoy hands-on nature learning experiences as they make a bird treat, search for bugs and other critters and participate in a scavenger hunt.
• July 18-22: Around the World in 5 Days. Campers experience diversity as they learn about the world through games, activities and crafts from all over.
• July 25-29: A Week at the Olympics. Children will, through traditional and not-so-traditional sports and games, hone their coordination and motor skills.
Recreational Sports and Services is also offering five camp sessions for children ages 7-12. These camps include half-day or full-day options. The all-day camps feature a 7:30 a.m. check-in with camp from 7:45 a.m. until 4:30 pm. The half-day camps have 12:15 p.m. check-in and run 12:30-4:30 p.m. Swimming is part of the afternoon agenda.
The schedule of Rec Sports camps for ages 7-12, along with a brief description of each, includes:
• June 20-24: Travel Through Time. Children take a unique trip down the memory lane of parents, grandparents and long-lost relatives as they participate in activities their ancestors enjoyed as children.
• June 27-July 1: History…Science…=Survival. Campers will learn about the adventures and survival skills of early native peoples and settlers. Explore rocks and waterways and more.
• July 11-15: Around the World. With the emphasis on diversity, children will learn games and participate in activities from all over the globe.
• July 18-22: The Great Outdoors, an experience in outdoor recreation featuring rock climbing, tying knots, and learning a variety of survival techniques including selecting edible foods in the wild.
• July 25-29: Camp Rec, giving children the chance to play kickball, basketball, soccer, tag games, relays, and enjoy a fitness challenge along with swimming each day with a program emphasizing health, fitness, team building and fun.
Parents and guardians can drop campers off at the small gym in the Student Recreation Center and pick them up at the center’s Alumni Lounge.
There’s also another option for children ages 8-12 with a more theatrical bent. Budding actors and actresses can participate in full-day theater camps where theater specialists help them with their dramatic skills through improvisational games, storytelling and movement and character development activities.
Theater Camp sessions are set for June 27-July 1 and July 11-15. The camps meet at Quigley Hall.
The cost for each of the half-day camps is $60 for children of SIUC students, $80 for children of Student Recreation Center members or $100 for all other children. The cost for full-day athletic or theater camps is $140 for SIUC student children, $160 for center members or $180 for non-members. There is a $10 discount for additional children from the same household registering for camp.
For more information or to access the camp registration form look online at www.reccenter.siu.edu or stop by the Student Recreation Center. You can also call 618/453-1277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.