April 27, 2011
Sunset Concerts open June 16 with 'Space Capone'
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Summer fun and good music go hand in hand and never more so than at the Sunset Concert Series.
The 33rd season of the ever-popular summertime performances kicks off June 16 on the steps of Shryock Auditorium at Southern Illinois University Carbondale with the funk/soul/rhythm and blues band Space Capone. The free concerts continue each Thursday evening through the end of July, alternating between the Shryock venue and Turley Park on the west side of Carbondale.
“It is a great tradition -- full of fun and a diversity of music and people,” said Don Castle, assistant director of the Student Center.
The concerts are family friendly events and everyone is welcome to attend. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy a pleasant outdoor musical experience. From week to week, concertgoers will hear everything from tropical rock to folk and country, from hip-hop to Creole, from alternative rock to funk.
Sunset Concert Series sponsors are the SIUC Student Center and Student Programming Council, the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District.
Here’s the schedule for the 2011 Sunset Concert Series, with all performances running from 7 to 9 p.m.:
• June 16 -- Space Capone, Shryock, funk, soul, rhythm/blues, http://spacecapone.com/.
• June 23 -- Dennis Stroughmatt and Creole Stomp, Turley Park, Creole Zydeco/Cajun/blues and New Orleans swamp pop, http://www.creolestomp.com/.
• June 30 -- Animate Objects, Shryock, hip-hop/ jazz/soul, http://www.myspace.com/animateobjects.
• July 7 -- Conch Republic, Turley Park, trop rock/beach, www.conchrepublicband.com.
• July 14 -- The Kinsey Report, Shryock, Chicago blues/funk/reggae, www.myspace.com/kenkinsey.
• July 21 -- The Black Lillies, Turley Park, Americana folk/country, www.theblacklillies.com.
• July 28 -- Fools for Rowan, Shryock, alternative rock/pop, www.foolsforrowan.com.
There are a few restrictions to assure everyone has a good, safe time. Rules prohibit glass bottles, kegs, pets and solicitation and there will be strict enforcement of underage drinking laws.
For more information about the 2011 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3391 or visit the website at http://spc4fun.com/.