April 05, 2011
School of Art and Design plans reunion events
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The "SIUC Synergetics: Where Innovation and Sustainable Development Meet" symposium at Southern Illinois University Carbondale highlights the ideas and concepts of the late R. Buckminster Fuller, the renowned designer, architect, and sustainability proponent and former SIUC faculty member.
The School of Art and Design, along with the Center for Innovation, hosts this event to promote problem solving, team building and the latest in sustainable design and product. More information about the symposium is available at www.innovation.siu.edu/synergetics/ .
The School of Art and Design also offers additional events on April 8 in coordination with the symposium that are free and open to the public as part of its Design Reunion 2011. Here is a schedule of those events.
• Design Alumni Panel Discussion, 10:30 a.m.-noon, John C. Guyon Auditorium in Morris Library. The topic for this discussion is “Creative Thinking + Problem Solving and Practical Knowledge.” Larry Busch, professor emeritus and an SIUC alumnus, now a creativity education trainer and consultant, facilitates this event featuring a panel of SIUC design program alumni.
• Public Lecture: Tony “Mr. Tensegrity” Pugh, 1:30 p.m., John C. Guyon Auditorium in Morris Library. The topic for this lecture is “SIUC, Bucky and Professional Experiences.” Pugh took inspiration from a Buckminster Fuller lecture in 1965 to investigate tensegrity, or tensional integrity. Fuller and Pugh went on to become colleagues at SIUC for a brief time in the early 1970s. Pugh is himself a renowned designer and architect.
• Social reception, 2:30-3:15 p.m. in the President’s Hall in Morris Library.
• Round Table Groups/Portfolio Reviews/Tours, 3:30-5 p.m. in the School of Art and Design Barracks. This is an opportunity for design students to interact in smaller groups with design alumni. Some may choose to review their portfolios with these professionals and alumni, others may have other aspects of their future and potential careers to discuss.
• Design Alumni Reunion Past and Present Dinner, 6 p.m. in the Old Main Restaurant in the Student Center. RSVP for dinner at 618/453-4315 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the School of Art and Design, visit the website at http://artanddesign.siuc.edu