November 09, 2010
Automotive technology students win scholarships
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Eighteen students enrolled in Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s nationally recognized automotive technology program received scholarships earlier this fall.
Automotive industry executives presented the scholarships at the annual Automotive Technology Advisory Committee student meeting. Students received awards totaling more than $20,000,for use during the 2010-2011 academic year. There was also one partial tuition waiver scholarship.
The automotive technology program is within the College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
“The Department of Automotive Technology is pleased the automotive industry, alumni and friends of the program have been generous with the support, allowing the department to provide some financial assistance to our students,” said associate professor and Chair Michael S. Behrmann. “Without their assistance this would not have been possible.
“With high demand for the automotive technology program, these students had to go through a competitive process for program acceptance. Once admitted they are challenged by our outstanding faculty in the diverse aspects of automotive technical and business operations. These awards are a testament to their hard work and dedication,” Behrmann said, noting the “outstanding” opportunities available to students and graduates with paid internships and full-time positions.
Scholarship winners by hometown, year in school, scholarship and award amount where available, are:
- Arlington Heights: Naveed Somani, senior, General Motors Aftersales Engineering and Service Operations Scholarship, $2,000.
- Batavia: Ryan P. Unruh, junior, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc., Scholarship, $2,500.
- Bloomington: Thomas J. Orzechowski, sophomore, General Motors Aftersales Engineering and Service Operations Scholarship, $2,000.
- Carol Stream: Abraham Lopez, junior, Edward Wright Memorial Scholarship, $1,000.
- Chicago: Albert A. Rosario, sophomore, Arthur T. Ross Scholarship, $1,000.
- Chicago: Brandon Cook, senior, Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc., Scholarship, $1,000.
- DeKalb: Darren E. Baie, junior, Edward Wright Memorial Scholarship, $1,000.
- Des Plaines: Shant B. Alexanian, sophomore, Mossie Oak Automotive Technology Scholarship, $2,500.
- Freeburg: Tyler M. Fellows, sophomore, ASA Academic Scholarship.
- Geneva: Thomas D. McDuffee, senior, General Motors SIU Alumni Scholarship, $1,000.
- Glenview: Austin J. Tewksbury, senior, General Motors SIU Alumni Scholarship, $1,000.
- Joliet: Alexander J. Richards, senior, American Honda Motor Company/Tim Jones Scholarship, $500.
- Joliet: Timothy L. Hatcher, senior, L.D. Willey Outstanding Student of the Year Award and James E. White Automotive Scholarship, $1,000.
- Murphysboro: Nicholas C. Lach, sophomore, Dale Fleener Scholarship, $800.
- Palatine: Austin Ellis, freshman, CASA partial tuition waiver scholarship.
- St. Charles: Kyle S. Soerens, senior, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc., Scholarship, $2,500.
- Cerritos: JinHyung Woo, sophomore, Edward Wright Memorial Scholarship, $1,000.
- Shenyang: Haoming Qin, junior, ASA Academic Scholarship.