October 18, 2010
Art exhibits scheduled at Surplus Gallery
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- They call it the old Glove Factory, and that’s really what it is. Nowadays, though, the former Good Luck Glove Co. factory is the home of Surplus Gallery, and studio, office and classroom space for Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s School of Art and Design.
The Surplus Gallery is a large, mostly open space conducive to large art shows including sculpture and installation pieces. The name for the gallery comes from its prior use as a surplus property storage space.
Here is the fall 2010 line-up for the Surplus Gallery:
• Current exhibit -- GAPP Annual Exhibit, featuring painting, prints and mixed media from several of the school’s graduate students.
• Oct. 18-22 -- Critical Forum Annual Members Sculpture Exhibition
• Oct. 31-Nov. 5 -- Annual Process, Performance and Projection Exhibition
• Nov. 7-13 -- New works by students Rachel Kirkendoll, Julie Chabrian and Lacey Pipher
• Nov. 14-20 -- Oil paintings by Professor Emeritus Ed Shay
• Nov. 21-Dec. 3 – Sixth Annual Art Over Easy Gala and Fundraiser
• Dec. 13-18 -- School of Art and Design Senior Exhibition
Receptions for exhibits are on Fridays, times vary. Keep an eye on Saluki Times’ Fliers Row for information pertaining to each exhibit, including reception times.
Find the School of Art and Design, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, on Facebook.