September 03, 2010
Free workshops available to small businesses
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Southern Illinois University Carbondale offers a number of free resources for small businesses.
In coming weeks there are five sessions of the popular two-hour informational “Starting a Business in Illinois” workshop. Participants will learn the basic requirements essential when creating a successful business including legal structure, start-up requirements, finding financing and planning business basics.
The workshop is free. Participants have the option of purchasing a start-up kit for $15. The kit includes a jump drive with an electronic copy of a business start-up checklist, copies of the workshop presentation slides, a packet with financing questions and answers, a sample business plan, federal and state tax identification number applications and much more.
The schedule for “Starting a Business in Illinois” workshops includes:
• Sept. 15, 9-11 a.m., Carterville Community Center, Fred G. Harrison Annex, 120 N. Greenbriar Road. The Carterville Chamber of Commerce is a co-sponsor.
• Oct. 5, 1-3 p.m., Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center, Room 150, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale.
• Oct. 27, 10 a.m.-noon, Marion Man-Tra-Con building, 3000 W. DeYoung St., 800B. The Marion Chamber of Commerce and Marion Man-Tra-Con are co-sponsors for this session.
• Nov. 10, 6-8 p.m., Murphysboro Township Board Room at 1410 Walnut St., Murphysboro. SCORE and the Murphysboro Chamber of Commerce are co-sponsors.
In partnership with the John A. Logan Procurement Center, the SIUC Illinois Small Business Development Center will offer two sessions of “Intro to Government Contracting.” The workshops will cover the basic requirements for businesses seeking state and federal contracts as well as local requirements and the various certifications business owners may apply for based upon their location, ethnicity and gender. The workshop is free and sessions are set as follows:
• Sept. 15, 11 a.m.-noon, Carterville Community Room, Fred G. Harrison Annex, 120 N. Greenbriar Road. The Carterville Chamber of Commerce is co-sponsor.
• Oct. 5, 3-4 p.m., Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center, Room 150, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale.
“Finding Financing” is a free seminar providing details about obtaining financing for a small business. Participants will receive in-depth information about the possible financing options currently available. The workshop will be Dec. 9 from 3 to 5 p.m. at Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center, Room 150, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale.
Pre-registration is necessary to attend any of these workshops. For more information, or to register, call 618/536-2424 or e-mail email@example.com.