September 02, 2010
SIUC to host series of business workshops
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- You can learn about social networking, selling on eBay and much more through a series of workshops at Southern Illinois University Carbondale this fall.
The Illinois Small Business Development Center at SIUC is sponsoring a wide variety of events offering invaluable information for small businesses and people from all over the region. Three different business workshops are scheduled.
“How to Sell on eBay” is a two-day workshop teaching participants how to use e-Bay to sell new and used products or services. They’ll learn how to set up an e-Bay account and the best practices for posting sale items. The workshop is set for 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 6 and 7 at the computer lab at Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale. The $95 registration fee covers two days of instruction along with all workshop materials.
“Social Networking” is an informational seminar offering details about the different types of social networking websites and the benefits of incorporating social networking into a business marketing plan. The registration fee is $25. The details on the two sessions of the workshop are as follows:
• Oct. 27 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Marion Man-Tra-Con building, 800 B at 3000 W. DeYoung St. The Marion Chamber of Commerce and Marion Man-Tra-Con are co-sponsors.
• Nov. 4 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Dunn Richmond Economic Development Center, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale.
The fall workshop schedule also includes a number of sessions on QuickBooks Pro 10.0. The training sessions are for beginner through intermediate users and give them an introduction to or enhanced knowledge of QuickBooks Pro 10.0. There are five different learning modules so participants can attend the training session or sessions that best meet their needs. To become proficient on all levels sign up for all five modules. The registration fee, which includes all workshops materials, is $55 for each module. All of the QuickBooks workshops are at the Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center, 150 E. Pleasant Hill Road, Carbondale.
The modules and schedules includes:
• “Setup,” with information about setting up a company, company preferences, lists, charts of accounts and bank accounts, Sept. 15, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• “Inventory, Purchasing and Customer/Merchant Accounts,” learn how to receive and add inventory, set up items for sale and create invoices and statements. Sept. 22, 3-5 p.m.
• “Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable,” including information about paying bills, receiving payments, making deposits, transferring funds and reconciling bank accounts, Sept. 8, 5:30-7:30 p.m. or Sept. 29, 3-5 p.m.
• “Payroll and Payroll Taxes,” learn to set up employee and payroll accounts, prepare payroll and pay payroll taxes, Sept. 22, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• “Reports and Management,” providing information about preparing and interpreting financial reports, setting up budgets and backing up data files, Sept. 29, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
You must pre-register for all workshops. To register, or for more information, call 618/536-2424 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.