August 17, 2010
Media Advisory -- Events Set to Welcome Students
A variety of events this week will welcome Southern Illinois University Carbondale students to campus for the new academic year. Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover the following events:
• Wednesday, Aug. 18, 5 p.m., “World of Welcomes,” Student Recreation Center Aerobics Room: Chancellor Rita Cheng will welcome new international students at this event, sponsored by International Programs and Services.
• Thursday, Aug. 19, 6:45-7:45 a.m., New Student Move-In: The chancellor will greet and assist students and families, beginning at the Mae Smith Residence Hall, then moving to Schneider Hall, Neely Hall and Thompson Point.
• Thursday, Aug. 19, 7 p.m., “Welcome Fest,” Student Recreation Center: The chancellor will welcome new students and families to campus during this annual event that also showcases Carbondale businesses and various campus departments.
• Friday, Aug. 20, 5 p.m., “Southern Social,” Old Main Mall in front of Shryock Auditorium: The chancellor will give welcome remarks, and students also will be treated to a pep rally that will include the football and volleyball teams and coaches, the Marching Salukis, cheerleaders and the Saluki Shakers.
• Sunday, Aug. 22, 2 p.m., “WatermelonFest,” Old Main Mall in front of Shryock Auditorium: Students can enjoy free watermelon and meet the chancellor in an informal atmosphere.