May 20, 2010
Students raise more than $40,000 for St. Jude
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A student-led philanthropic program at Southern Illinois University Carbondale raised more than $40,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
More than 500 students participated in the “Up til Dawn” program at the Student Recreation Center. In preparation, they sent letters to family members and friends, increasing awareness about childhood cancer and requesting donations for St. Jude. They brought their donations and pledges and met for an evening of music, food, fun and prizes. Members of fraternities and sororities performed the Ebony and Ivory Step Show and local bands played also.
The event raised $42,426.
Donations continued to arrive after the event, bringing the grand total to $44,101. The donation recently was presented to SIUC student and former St. Jude patient Ross Heern, of Thompsonville, and his parents, Debbie and Kenneth Heern. They accepted the money on behalf of the hospital.
Students are already preparing for the 2010-2011 “Up til Dawn” event. The group recently inducted its new executive board.
The new officers of “Up til Dawn,” a registered student organization, listed by hometown along with their position in the organization and major at the University, are:
• Priciliano Fabian, sponsorship co-chair, physical education and family and consumer science.
• Sarah Fader, public relations co-officer for second year, marketing.
• Savanna Ramsey, public relations co-officer, public relations.
• Gregory Summers, catering co-chair, speech communication.
• Courtney Strieker, physiology/pre-medicine.
• Jason Gumbel, sponsorship co-chair, biological sciences/pre-dental.
• Brittany Gandy, morale captain, kinesiology.
• Lamonica Bettes, recruitment co-chair, radio and television communications.
• Emily Seals, catering co-chair, physiology/pre-medicine.
• Christina Hopson, advocacy chair, mathematics.
• Kelsey Rahmoeller, recruitment co-chair for second year, biological science/pre-medicine.
• John Larson, recruitment co-chair for second year, geology.
• Nicholas Sager, recruitment co-chair, mechanical engineering.
• Caitlin Moliske, assistant director, physiology/pre-medicine.
• Jessica Stout, executive director for the second year, physiology/pre-medicine.
• Taylor Chance, entertainment chair and logistics chair, mechanical engineering and mathematics.
• Lijun Wang, public relations co-officer, biological sciences/pre-dental.
Advisors for “Up til Dawn” include Andy Morgan and Amanda Phillips from Student Development and Maggie Leitch from University Housing.