May 03, 2010
Sunset Concert Series opens June 17 at Shryock
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Sunset Concert Series, a summer tradition for more than three decades, is back for 2010 in Carbondale with a diverse selection of music sure to appeal to all ages and tastes.
The season opens June 17 on the steps of Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Shryock Auditorium with Grammy-nominated blues icon John Primer. The free concerts continue each Thursday through the end of July.
The venue alternates between the steps of Shryock and Turley Park on the west side of Carbondale. The line-up for the outdoor musical showcase includes an eclectic mix of genres including country, blues, pop, folk, funk, reggae and Celtic.
The concerts are family friendly events open to one and all. This is the 32nd season for the ever-popular summer concert series that offers a unique opportunity for community members to gather and enjoy free entertainment, according to Don Castle, assistant director of the SIUC Student Center.
“We’re really excited about the music this summer. People should check out the bands in advance and see what great musicians we have for this year’s Sunset Concert Series,” Castle said. He noted that one of the performers has won Australian country music awards while another earned a Grammy nomination.
Joining the Student Center in sponsoring the concerts are the city of Carbondale, the Carbondale Park District, and the SIUC Student Programming Council.
Here’s the summer 2010 Sunset Concert Series schedule, with each two-hour concert beginning at 7 p.m.:
• June 17 -- John Primer, Shryock, Shryock, blues, www.johnprimerblues.com/live/.
• June 24 -- The McClymonts, Turley Park, new country, www.themcclymonts.net/.
• July 1 -- Sleeperstar, Shryock, pop/rock, http://sleeperstar.com/blog/.
• July 8 -- The Giving Tree Band, Turley Park, Americana/folk rock, http://thegivingtreeband.com/.
• July 15 -- Shaggy Wonda, Shryock, rock/funk, www.shaggywonda.com/.
• July 22 -- The Sandcarvers, Turley Park, Celtic rock, www.thesandcarversmusic.com/.
• July 29 -- Seefari, Shryock, reggae, www.seefari.com/.
Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy a pleasant outdoor musical experience. There are a few simple safety rules for the concerts though to assure everyone has a good, safe time. Restrictions prohibiting glass bottles, kegs, pets, solicitation and underage drinking are strictly enforced.
For more information about the 2010 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or visit the website at www.spc4fun.com.