April 09, 2010
Art Education Festival set for April 14-15
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Every spring, 2,000 or so elementary school students take over portions of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus for the annual Art Education Festival.
The multi-media celebration of all that is fine and fun in art takes place this year April 14-15, with events running from 9:45 a.m to 1:30 p.m. both days.
Members of the media, including reporters, camera crews and photographers, are welcome to cover events during the Art Education Festival. Events last approximately 45 minutes each and take place at various sites, including Shryock Auditorium, Altgeld Hall, the Old Baptist Foundation building, University Museum and the Student Center Craft Shop. For exact scheduling information, contact Amanda Urbanski at 618/453-7418 or email@example.com.
The blend of performances and events includes hands-on art, music, dance, and comedy. Here is a partial list of what is on tap:
• Dance -- Susan Barnes Willow Street Dance Studio dancers including hip hop crew and more; Southern Illinois Repertory Dance Company, presenting several styles of dance; Toni Intravia’s ballet students; and Dance of the East.
• Hands-on Art -- Stamp art fun with Roger Martin, Student Center Craft Shop tour.
• Music -- Egyptian Suzuki Strings; African Hand Clapping; Loose Gravel; Parsley and Sagebrush; School of Music Musical Theater; Southern Illinois Children’s Choir; Banjovi and more.
• Performance Art -- Comedy presented by Cult of the Stage Monkey.
Participating schools include:
• Ashley Grade School
• Bennett Elementary School (Cairo)
• Christopher Elementary School
• Dongola School
• Giant City School (Carbondale)
• Ina Community Consolidated School
• Jonesboro Elementary School
• Lewis School (Carbondale)
• Longfellow Elementary School (Marion)
• St. Andrew School (Murphysboro)
• Thomas School (Carbondale)
• Unity Point School (Carbondale)
• Vienna Elementary School