October 20, 2009
Automotive technology students win scholarships
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Twelve students enrolled in Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s nationally recognized automotive technology program received scholarships earlier this month.
Students received the scholarships at the annual Automotive Technology Advisory Committee student meeting on Oct. 12. The awards are for use during the 2009-2010 academic year. Students received $15,600 in scholarship awards. There was also one tuition waiver scholarship.
The automotive technology program is part of the College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
“The Automotive Technology Department is pleased the automotive alumni and automotive industry have been generous with their donations, allowing the department to provide some financial assistance to our students,” Chair Jack S. Greer said.
Scholarship winners by hometown, year in school, scholarship and award amount, are:
- Carbondale: James R. Koltz, senior, American Honda/Tim Jones Scholarship, $500.
- Carbondale: Casey J. Wagoner, senior, Outstanding Senior 2009, James E. White and L.D. Willey Scholarship, $1,000.
- Chicago: Brandon Cook, senior, Edward Wright Scholarship, $1,000.
- Des Plaines: Shant B. Alexanian, freshman, CASA Tuition Waiver Scholarship.
- Franklin Park: Jeffrey S. Bengtson, senior, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., Scholarship, $2,500.
- Freeburg: Tyler M. Fellows, freshman, Dale Fleener Scholarship, $600.
- Jacob: Steven W. Thomas, senior, General Motors Alumni Scholarship, $1,500.
- Joliet: Tim L. Hatcher, junior, Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., Scholarship, $2,000.
- Lombard: Evan J. Simmons, senior, Edward Wright Scholarship, $1,000.
- Palatine: Ryan J. French, sophomore, General Motors Alumni Scholarship, $1,500.
- Salem: Thomas C. Fischer, senior, Mossie Oak Automotive Technology Scholarship, $1,500
- Westlake: Kelsey F. Pugh, senior, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., Scholarship, $2,500.