September 10, 2009
Media Advisory -- Day of Service
Scores of Southern Illinois University Carbondale students will volunteer their time and energy during the 15th annual Day of Service on Saturday, Sept. 12, and reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to see them in action.
The student volunteers will meet at the International Lounge on the second floor of the Student Center at 8:30 a.m. and head to five work sites around the community. Typically, more than 200 students participate in the Student Development Saluki Volunteer Corps event. After their projects wrap up, they’ll return to the Student Center ballrooms for free pizza.
During the morning, media are welcome to stop by any of the work sites to get stories, photos or video.
Here’s where Saluki volunteers will be working:
• Carbondale Boys and Girls’ Club at 250 N. Springer St., painting the club.
• SIUC Student Center Craft Shop, making bird feeders for the Audubon Society of Southern Illinois.
• Downtown Carbondale, working with Carbondale Main Street on downtown landscaping and beautification.
• Various spots around the city, sprucing up the town with Keep Carbondale Beautiful.
• Student Center’s Illinois Room on the second floor, creating unique T-shirts for AIDS orphans in Zambia.
For more information or scheduling assistance, contact Mythili Rundblad at 618/453-7522.