August 26, 2009
Students, groups can sign up for Day of Service
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- During the 15th annual Day of Service on Sept. 12, Southern Illinois University Carbondale students will volunteer their time and energy to benefit people around the region and beyond.
Volunteers will meet in the International Lounge on the second floor of the Student Center at 8:30 a.m. before heading off to their various work sites. The service work enables students to learn more about the very active Saluki Volunteer Corps, meet people, and lend a hand to others. Each year more than 200 students of all ages and backgrounds come together for the Day of Service.
Afterward, they’ll meet back about mid-day in the Student Center ballrooms for free pizza courtesy of Student Development’s Saluki Volunteer Corps. Participants will also offer feedback on their morning experiences. Both the volunteers and the organizations they help typically agree it’s a very rewarding experience for all involved.
Students and organizations planning to join in Day of Service activities must pre-register at the Student Development Office on the third floor of the Student Center by Sept. 8. For more information, call 618/453-5714.
The 2009 Day of Service projects SIUC include:
• Keep Carbondale Beautiful, sprucing up various locations around the city.
• Fall planting, working with Carbondale Main Street to landscape and beautify the downtown area with flora planting.
• Boys’ and Girls’ Club, painting at the Carbondale club for youths.
• Bird feeders for the Audubon Society of Southern Illinois, working at the SIUC Student Center Craft Shop to create bird feeders.
• T-shirts for orphans, creating individualized shirts for AIDS orphans in Zambia.