July 01, 2009
Media Advisory -- SIUC Summer Camps July 5-18Reporters, photographers and news crews looking for fun summer activity stories will find plenty of opportunities at summer camps hosted by Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
SIUC’s Division of Continuing Education coordinates the camps. The schedule for July 5-18, along with a brief camp description, opportune times to acquire stories and contact information for each camp, includes:
• Middle School Architecture Camp, July 5-10 at Quigley Hall and other locations. This award-winning camp gives youngsters an introduction to architecture and design for a built environment with hands-on projects, discussions, field trips and more. Media are welcome at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, July 7, at the parking lot at the corner of Mill and Washington streets as camp participants create mosaic stepping-stones. Contact Jon Davey for more information at 618/559-8931 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• Camp Little Giant offers three sessions of its therapeutic recreation camp for those with disabilities during this time span. Camp Shawnee I is July 5-10, while Camp Shawnee II is July 5-17 and Camp Shawnee III is July 12-17. Each camp is for youths ages 8-21 with physical or developmental disabilities, giving them a true summer camp experience at the Touch of Nature Environmental Center, located about eight miles south of Carbondale on Giant City Road. To arrange a media visit, contact Vicki Lang-Mendenhall at 618/453-1122, ext. 231 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wild Outdoor Week, or W.O.W., is July 6-10 for grades 5-7. This outdoor experiential adventure camp emphasizes learning and individual growth through outdoor activities and adventures. The day camp runs 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. and participants will be rock climbing, caving, swimming, canoeing, enjoying the high ropes course and more. The camp is at the Touch of Nature Environmental Center. To set up a media visit, contact Travis Geske at 618/453-1122, ext. 238 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Saluki Volleyball High School Camp, July 8-10 at the SIU Arena and Student Recreation Center. Participants will work on offensive and defensive volleyball tactics. See the ladies in action at the Student Recreational Center 9-11:30 a.m. or 1-5 p.m. on July 10. For more information or media opportunities or questions, contact Julie Yankus at 618/453-5476 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Saluki Track and Field Clinic, July 11-12 at McAndrew Stadium. Campers will work on techniques and skills, improving their throws and vaulting. Media are welcome at the stadium either day from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information contact Dan Digman or John Smith at 618/453-5311.
• High School Architecture Camp, July 12-17 at Quigley Hall and other sites. Participants will study the built environment utilizing hands-on activities, field trips, discussions and more. A great story and photo opportunity is at 10 a.m. July 14 at the parking lot on the corner of Mill and Washington streets. Participants will create mosaic stepping-stones. For more information contact Jon Davey at 618/559-8931 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• Saluki Softball Pitching Camp, July 14-15 at Student Recreation Center. This camp is just for pitchers and they’ll get specialized instruction on various types of pitches and participate in drills. Media are welcome 1-3:30 p.m. either day. Contact Kerri Blaylock at 618/453-5466 for details.