June 11, 2009
SIUC students, staff win intramural honors
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Who says football is just a man’s sport? Obviously not anyone who has seen the women’s intramural team from Southern Illinois University Carbondale play.
The first-ever women’s flag football team from SIUC’s Recreational Sports and Services (RSS) already made a name for themselves and the program. The team competed at the National Collegiate Championship Series regional at Southeast Missouri State University and claimed second place.
Two members of the team, Kashayla Stanford and Regina Campbell, earned all-tournament team honors. Campbell, an undeclared major, is from Kankakee. The daughter of Caretta Campbell, she plans a career as a police officer. She also works as an intramural official for RSS.
Stanford, from Los Banos, Calif., is a mortuary science and funeral services major. The daughter of Wendell and Danita Stanford, she works as an administrative assistant for RSS. She plans to become a funeral director and embalmer after graduation.
The team, coached by Nick and Cassie White, also included:
• Jennifer Burns, an elementary education major from Mazon,
• Lonna Jackson, an undecided major from North Chicago.
• Lisa Langdon, a kinesiology major from Oak Forest.
• Rhea Lewan, a kinesiology major from Oak Forest.
• Afton Salata, a plant and soil science major from Streator.
• Sarah Taylor, a graduate kinesiology student from Wichita, Kan.
• Anna Zych, a graduate therapeutic recreation student from Honor, Mich.
Team members described the event as “awesome” and said they thoroughly enjoyed participating.
That’s not the only accomplishment for SIUC. Nick Kramer, a graduate student in kinesiology from Hastings, Neb., and the son of Clair and Sandy Kramer, earned a spot on the Officials Committee during the NCCS National Flag Football Championships held shortly thereafter in Tampa, Fla. Kramer, a graduate assistant working with Sport Clubs and Intramurals, served on the officials committee at the NCCS state tournament at Western Illinois University. And, Shane M. Bennett, assistant director of intramural sports and sport clubs for SIUC, represented SIUC as a member of the All-Tournament Committee during the nationals.
Others from SIUC who officiated at various regional intramural competitions included:
• Phil Bickart, a business management major from Joliet with a criminal justice minor, son of Linda Lockhart and Arthur Lockhart.
• Adam Loyal Bishop, an education and human services major from Terre Haute, Ind., son of Brad and Jana Bishop.
• Kyle LeDuc, a finance major from Bloomington, son of Lynn and David LeDuc.
• Devan Lee Fox, an education and human services major from Danville, son of Steve and Joy Fox.