May 28, 2009
Music students earn scholarships, awards
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Many of the students in the School of Music come to Southern Illinois University Carbondale with scholarships or awards to help defray tuition and fees. Some scholarships require an audition and are competitive, while others go to students based on academics or performance and service within the department.
Here are some of the School of Music scholarships and awards and the students who earned them this year.
• Ann Fisher Brouillette Memorial Scholarship in Music -- This scholarship is for female music majors at the junior or senior level who are Southern Illinois natives. The recipients are: Stephanie Daly (Carbondale), Anna E. Jackson (Carbondale), Laurie A. Lewis (Cary), Emily Plumlee (Tamaroa).
• Don and Shirley Beggs Symphony Orchestra Scholarship -- This is a scholarship for SIUC students who participate in the Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra. The scholarship went to: Alexandre Francois (Kankakee), Tyler Gum (Naperville), Kevin Olivere (Naperville), Rebecca Perry (Goodfield), Metiney Suwanawongse (Cobden).
• Fred Denker Scholarship -- Students who earn this scholarship are music majors with a specialization in piano performance. The recipients are: Meng-Chun Chien (Carbondale) and Peder Sill (Springfield). Chien also received the H. H. Fuchs Scholarship, a piano performance scholarship given on the basis of an audition. Both Chien and Sill also earned the Robert and Eleanor Leigeber Piano Scholarship
• Hubert and Phyllis Norville Opera Scholarship -- This is a scholarship for a voice or opera student demonstrating both financial need and artistic talent. Preference is for a tenor, but the scholarship is not limited. This year, the award went to: Carl Herzog (Carbondale), Jason Miller (Edwardsville) and Morgan R. Thurman (Carbondale).
• Southern Illinois Chamber Music Society Scholarship -- These scholarships, funded by the Southern Illinois Chamber Music Society with money raised from concerts and other events, goes to strings players, such as violinists, violists and cellists, in the chamber music program. The scholarships went to: Stephanie Daly (Carbondale), Laura Dorkota (Carbondale), Alexandre Francois (Kankakee), Yehun Kim (Carbondale), Raquel Nunez Lopez (Carbondale), Rebecca Perry (Goodfield), Benjamin Schantz (Sterling), and Metiney Suwanawongse (Cobden). Francoise also earned the School of Music Strings Endowed Scholarship.
The prestigious Steven Barwick Piano Major Award went to: Meng-Chun Chien, Chanmi Ryu, and Chuhan Wang, all currently of Carbondale.
The Marjorie Lawrence Opera Scholarship -- This is a scholarship for voice majors. Preference goes to students showing the potential for professional opera careers. This year’s recipients are Carl Herzog (Carbondale) and Erik C. Lehmkuhl (Bloomington).
The Mary Kesnar Music Scholarship -- This scholarship for outstanding music students went to: Timothy Bernhardt (Orland Park), Christopher Chamness (Steeleville), Kaitlin Fahy (Fults), Alexandre Francois (Kankakee), Kevin Olivere (Naperville), Benjamin Schantz (Sterling), and Izabel Zambrzycki (Antioch).
The May Dorsey Memorial Music Scholarship -- This scholarship depends on the performance audition from new students or letters of recommendation for continuing students. This year it went to: Mechelle Froemling (Campbell Hill), Nathan Kingery (Ramsey) and Jacob Vozel (Silver Lake, Wisc.)
School of Music Tuition Awards -- These are for new students, or for returning students based on grade point average, performance skill and letters of recommendation. The awards went to: Monica Bertrand (St. Charles), Meng-Chun Chien (Carbondale), Stephanie Daly (Carbondale), Alexandre Francois (Kankakee), Nathan Harris (O’Fallon), Jason Miller (Edwardsville), Jered Montgomery (Mulkeytown), Benjamin Schantz (Sterling), Peder Sill (Springfield) and Metiney Sudwanawongse (Cobden).
In addition, the School of Music presented the following single recipient scholarships:
• The Presser Foundation Award -- This substantial award goes to a senior chosen by vote of the School of Music faculty. Selection criteria include grade point average, competitive performance and service to the School. This year’s Presser student is Jonathan Poquete (Dixon).
• Carl Lutes Music Outstanding Graduating Senior Award -- Jered Montgomery (Mulkeytown)
• Herbert Krauss Memorial Scholarship -- This scholarship for a jazz student participating in a student jazz ensemble went to Nathan Fry (Pittsfield).
• Phil and Marion Olsson Scholarship in Music -- This scholarship goes to an outstanding trumpet player whose interests combine classical and jazz music. The recipient is Amber Marie Blacharski (St. Petersburg, Fla.).
• Underwood Flute Scholarship -- This award is for an incoming student and is based partly on a competitive audition. The recipient, Izabel Zambrzycki (Antioch) also received the Jarvis Memorial Flute Scholarship.
• Floyd Wakeland Memorial Music Award in Music -- This award is for a senior music major demonstrating ability in choral conducting and vocal pedagogy. The recipient is Katelyn Ratliff (Collinsville).
• Malan/Roe Memorial Music Scholarship --This is a scholarship for voice students who participate in vocal performances. Jason Miller (Edwardsville) is the recipient.
• Southern Illinois Concerts Incorporated/Helen Longbons Youth scholarship -- This scholarship went to James Beers (Chester).