April 27, 2009
31st season of Sunset Concerts opens June 18
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- An always-popular musical tradition returns on June 18 as the 2009 Sunset Concert Series opens on the steps of Shryock Auditorium at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
The concerts, held on alternate Thursdays outside Shryock or at Turley Park on the west side of Carbondale, are all free and everyone is welcome. It’s a family friendly outdoor showcase for music of all kinds. The line-up for the seven-week series features reggae, bluegrass, Americana/folk, Indie rock, Afro-Latin groove rock, Chicago blues and funk/soul/disco.
“Sunset Concerts are one of Carbondale’s best and longest lasting traditions,” said Don Castle, assistant director of the SIUC Student Center. “The concerts are designed to bring everyone together and to be fun for all. The series has lasted 31 years due to the strong and widespread support of students, faculty, staff and community members. We hope people continue this summer to respect and support these concerts and appreciate this unique opportunity for community building and free entertainment.”
The SIUC Student Center and Student Programming Council, the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District sponsor the Sunset Concerts.
“There are two return acts this summer,” Castle notes. “The Ark Band performed in 2007 and was one of the most popular reggae acts ever. The NK Band appeared last summer but performed a rain shortened set so we wanted them to return for a complete show.”
Here’s the complete Sunset Concert schedule, with each two-hour concert starting at 7 p.m.:
• June 18: The Ark Band, Shryock, reggae, http://thearkband.com.
• June 25: Roman Candle, Turley Park, Indie rock, http://www.romancandlemusic.com.
• July 2: The NK Band, Shryock, Afro-Latin groove rock, http://www.nkband.com.
• July 9: Vince Herman and Friends, Turley Park, Americana/folk, http://www.vinceherman.com.
• July 16: Mississippi Heat, Shryock, Chicago blues, http://www.mississippiheat.net.
• July 23: Greensky Bluegrass, Turley Park, bluegrass, http://www.greenskybluegrass.com.
• July 30: Space Capone, Shryock, funk/soul/disco, http://www.myspace.com/spacecapone.
Concert sponsors remind those attending that there will be strict enforcement of rules banning glass bottles, kegs, pets and solicitation, as will underage-drinking laws. For more information about the 2009 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or look online at http://www.spc4fun.com/.