April 16, 2009
Reception honors student organizations, membersCARBONDALE, Ill. -- More than 10,000 Southern Illinois University Carbondale students are active in more than 400 Registered Student Organizations.
The annual Student Development Celebration of Leadership and Involvement Reception set for 4-5 p.m. April 22 at the Student Center’s Old Main Lounge recognizes student organizations and members from around campus for their activities and achievements during the past year. Everyone is welcome to join in acknowledging student success and achievement at the reception.
Special awards Student Development will present include:
• Most Improved RSO Award -- recognizing an RSO for making significant improvement during the past year.
• Outstanding Program/Event Award -- honoring a specific program or event for its contribution to SIUC and/or the community.
• Outstanding RSO Adviser Award -- recognizing a faculty/staff RSO adviser for his or her outstanding contributions.
• Outstanding RSO Award -- in honor of an RSO for outstanding contributions and commitment to the University and the Carbondale area community.
• Outstanding RSO Officer Award -- celebrating an RSO officer’s outstanding contributions and dedication to his or her RSO.
• Steve Harris Outstanding Treasurer Award -- bearing the name of the late Steve Harris, an accountant and RSO friend, this goes to an RSO treasurer in honor of his or her outstanding fiscal management work.
• Spirit of Diversity Award -- goes to the one RSO among more than 400 that best demonstrated commitment and support for diversity with its programs and operations during this academic year.
• Multi-Ethnic Student Academic Excellence Award -- recognizing multi-ethnic students for academic excellence achieved over several semesters. This year is the 13th for the award and it will go to 66 students who have maintained a 3.0 GPA and been on the Dean’s List for a minimum of two consecutive semesters.
• The Delyte W. Morris Award -- honors students for their volunteer efforts and community service.
• Presidential Volunteer Service Awards -- recognize students for their volunteer and community service work at the national level.
• The Service to Southern Award -- honors students for their commitment and dedication to SIUC.