April 13, 2009
Housing honors students for academic excellence
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s University Housing recently honored its “Top Ten” students for the 2008-2009 academic year.
They received awards recognizing academic excellence during the Academic Honors Reception April 4 in the lower level of Grinnell Hall. All of those honored live on campus. The Education and Outreach recognition committee selects winners based on their positive impact on their living community, the University and beyond.
During the ceremony, recognition went to all students residing in University Housing who earned a 3.75 grade point average or above. The committee selects Top 10 award winners from among the hundreds of academic honors designees.
The “Top Ten” award winners, including their major, hometown, year at SIUC and parents’ names, listed by hometown, are:
• Belleville: Benjamin Northshield, a junior French and photography major, son of Thomas and Dena Northshield.
• Bolingbrook: David Shrum Jr., a sophomore aviation flight major, son of David M. Shrum and Paula V. Shrum.
• Chicago: Khristina Deal Cruz, a junior radio and television major, daughter of Alfonso and Dolores Dela Cruz.
• Gillespie: Bradley Bauer, a junior political science major with pre-law specialization, son of Evelyn and Dan Bilyeu and the late Thomas Bauer.
• Greenfield: Rhonda Steidley, a sophomore plant and soil science major, daughter of David and Julie Steidley.
• Macomb: Makayla Trotter, a freshman geography and environmental resources major, daughter of Bill and Stephanie Trotter.
• McHenry: Kirsten Eckstrum, a sophomore physiology major, daughter of Eric and Karen Eckstrum.
• Normal: Kirsten Tussing-Palm, a senior theater major, daughter of Charles and Melody Palm.
• Waterloo: Kristin Timken, a junior human nutrition and dietetics major, daughter of Becky Timken.
• Fort Lee: Ashleigh Dixon, a freshman zoology major, daughter of Kortez and Maxine Dixon.