April 08, 2009
TV show includes extramural team
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The men from Southern Illinois University Carbondale didn’t quite bring home the hardware, but you can see highlights of the first SIUC team appearance at the National Campus Championship Series national basketball championship twice in coming days.
A two-hour show from tourney sponsor, Powerade, and CBS will air on the CBS College Sports Network 1-3 p.m. Saturday, April 11, and 4-6 p.m. Sunday, April 12. Both times are Central Standard Time.
The University’s Recreational Sports and Services extramural basketball team won its first game at the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association championships last weekend in Detroit, Mich., by defeating the University of Delaware, 50-39. Later Friday evening, they fell to the University of Texas-San Antonio, 54-46. The team finished out the tournament in the Cobo Convention Center Saturday with a hard-fought three-point loss to Villanova University, 39-36.
The SIUC team earned its first trip to the NCCS nationals by winning the title at the Western Michigan University regional basketball tournament in Kalamazoo, Mich. Shane M. Bennett, assistant director of intramural sports and sport clubs for Recreational Sports and Services, is the team’s coach.
The SIUC extramural sports national team roster, listed by hometown with year and major, includes:
• Derrick Evans, senior, history.
• Christopher Browder, senior, marketing.
• Cergio Brown, senior, electronic systems technologies.
• Dennis Hawkins, junior, undecided liberal arts.
• Bryant Hughes, graduate student, education administration.
• Shane McCoy, senior, interpersonal speech.
• Morgan McDonald, senior, recreation.
• Harvey Word, junior, marketing.
• Patrick Colvin, junior, speech communication
• Edward Wallace, junior, art.