April 07, 2009
Arts Education Festival set for April 15-16
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The annual Arts Education Festival at Southern Illinois University Carbondale returns April 15-16.
The festival begins at 9:45 a.m. both days, with the final session ending at 1:30 p.m. Each session lasts approximately 45 minutes. At least one activity is on the schedule for each time session.
Robert DeHoet, event coordinator and the University Museum education director, describes the event as a “multi-venue fine arts extravaganza.” The event draws approximately 2,500 first- to fifth-grade students from area schools.
Reporters, camera crews and photographers are welcome to cover events during the Arts Education Festival. Events occur at several places on campus, including Shryock Auditorium, Altgeld Hall, Pulliam Gym, the Old Baptist Foundation building, University Museum and the Student Center Craft Shop. Call Robert DeHoet at 618/453-5388 if you want to cover a specific event.
“This event is a thing of many parts, from beginning to end,” DeHoet said. “We feel that we are offering a blend that keeps people coming, but also something new each time.”
The activities and guest artists this year include:
• Hands-on Art -- Projects in the Pulliam Hall gym, mask making in Faner Hall’s Room 2438 (Graphics Lab), Student Center Craft Shop tours.
• Music -- Ice Cream Socialists (jazz) and brass ensemble at Shryock Auditorium; SIUC Percussion Ensemble, musical improvisation, and opera scenes in Altgeld Hall; Loose Gravel (bluegrass), the Dorians (Celtic), Parsley/Sagebrush (folk/ethnic), Banjovi (banjo) in the Old Baptist Foundation.
• Dance -- African hand-drumming and dance, and Southern Illinois Repertory Dance Company in Shryock Auditorium; Toni Intravia’s Creative Dance Workshop and children’s ballet in Altgeld Hall; and Dance of the East in the University Museum Auditorium.
• Comedy -- Community Floss in the University Museum Auditorium.
Participating schools include:
• Ashley Grade School
• Carruthers School, Marion
• Christopher Elementary School
• Cobden Elementary School
• Creal Springs School
• Elverado Intermediate School, Vergennes
• General John A. Logan Elementary School, Murphysboro
• Giant City School, Carbondale
• Immanuel Lutheran School, Murphysboro
• Ina Grade School
• Jordan School, Centralia
• Lewis School, Carbondale
• Lincoln Elementary School, Marion
• Longfellow Elementary School, Marion
• St. Andrew School, Murphysboro
• St. Mary School, Chester
• St. Michael School, Radom
• Unity Point School, Carbondale