March 25, 2009
SIUC to recognize 2,032 students on Honors Day
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale will recognize 2,032 undergraduate students for academic excellence during Honors Day ceremonies on Sunday, April 5.
Requirements vary by college, but include consideration of grade point average and cumulative credit hours earned. All students, regardless of college, must have at least a 3.5 overall grade point average, though some colleges may have a higher grade point average requirement. Transfer students must bring a 3.5 overall grade point average from their originating school. Students receiving departmental awards and prizes are part of Honors Day recognition as well.
Each college hosts its own Honors Day convocation. The schedule follows. Except where noted, colleges hold their post-ceremony receptions in the Student Center Ballrooms after the convocation.
• Agricultural Sciences, honoring 109 students, 1:30 p.m., Muckelroy Auditorium, Agriculture Building. The reception is in the Agriculture Seminar Room (Room 209) in the Agriculture Building.
• Applied Sciences and Arts, honoring 396 students, 1 p.m., Hiram H. Lesar Law Building Auditorium.
• Business, honoring 161 students, 1 p.m., Lawson Building, Room 141.
• Education and Human Services, honoring 460 students, 1 p.m., Shryock Auditorium.
• Engineering, honoring 186 students, 1:30 p.m., Lawson Building, Room 171.
• Liberal Arts, honoring 331 students, 1:30 p.m., McLeod Theater.
• Mass Communication and Media Arts, honoring 116 students, 1:30 p.m., Communications Building, Room 1065.
• Science, honoring 158 students, 1:30 p.m., Student Center Auditorium.
• Pre-Major Advisement and Center for Academic Success, honoring 73 and 42 students respectively, 1 p.m., Furr Auditorium, Pulliam Hall.