December 18, 2008
Accounting students benefit from conference
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A group of Southern Illinois University Carbondale students benefitted from extensive networking and learning experiences at the recent Institute of Management Accountants’ ninth annual Student Leadership Conference in Jacksonville, Fla.
The event brought together about 400 students along with professors and professionals for a variety of educational presentations featuring guest speakers from major companies. Accompanying members of the SIUC Accounting Society, a registered student organization, was Catherine Lumbattis, senior accounting lecturer in the College of Business’ School of Accountancy. Lumbattis has also been faculty adviser for the Accounting Society/IMA student chapter for more than a decade. This was her eighth trip to conferences held throughout the country and she said it’s an important bonding experience for the students and provides them with valuable experiences.
Lumbattis noted that the conference gives participants excellent exposure to the business world. For instance, while business students meet with representatives of such prestigious organizations as Caterpillar Inc. and Johnson & Johnson at SIUC career fairs and recruitment events, the conference offers meetings with top corporate officers from these and other corporations. In addition to a variety of presentations, the conference also included a resume writing and interviewing workshop and an array of networking activities, including a funfest at the Jacksonville Municipal Stadium, home to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Students from SIUC attending the IMA Student Leadership Conference, listed by hometown, along with their major, year, and position with the Accounting Society are:
• Carbondale -- Brooke Morgan, secretary, a senior finance major.
• Carterville -- Ashley Gibson, president, a master’s of accountancy student.
• Du Quoin -- Jason Ramsey, Web master, a senior accounting major.
• Fairfield -- Ryan Masterson, vice president of programming, a senior accounting major.
• Marion -- Laura Hayes, vice president of membership, a senior accounting major; Chelsie Romines, treasurer, a senior accounting major.
• Orland Park -- Teresa White, golf tournament co-chairperson, a master’s of accountancy student.