October 16, 2008
Make a Difference Day will focus on environment
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- For one day only, students at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are putting aside their beloved maroon to go green. In celebration of Make a Difference Day, the Saluki Volunteers Corps is inviting students to “go green” Oct. 25 by participating in one of five selected projects, each with a focus on the environment. It’s all part of the nation’s largest “day of doing good,” helping others and improving the world.
This marks the 18th annual national day of service. From 9 a.m. until noon, University students will be involved with projects that raise awareness of and commitment to the environment and community. Those planning to participate should pre-register no later than Oct. 22 in the Student Development Office on the third floor of the Student Center.
The 2008 Make A Difference Day projects include:
• Repairing Cove Hollow Trail near Cedar Lake in the Shawnee National Forest.
• Assisting with the Keep Carbondale Beautiful tree sale at Hickory Lodge, 1115 W. Sycamore St.
• Working with the Beautify Southern Illinois campaign to clean up the landscape. They’ll meet that morning at the Student Center and head out to various locations.
• Decorating flowerpots at the SIUC Student Center Craft Shop. They’ll give the flowerpots to Hospice of Southern Illinois.
• Participating in “green reading” at the Carbondale Public Library, 405 W. Main St.
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to cover any of the SIUC Make a Difference Day events at the various sites listed above.
Organizers say Make a Difference Day brings together volunteers giving of their time and energy for worthwhile projects where those gifts can really make a difference. It’s an SIUC U-Card approved event too.
Sponsors for the 2008 Make a Difference Day include: Student Development (Saluki Volunteer Corps), the Student Environmental Center, Beautify Southern Illinois, Keep Carbondale Beautiful, The Shawnee National Forest and the Carbondale Public Library.
For more information, call Iesha Wilson, AmeriCorps VISTA member and event organizer at 618/453-7520 or e-mail email@example.com. To learn more about the national event, look online at www.makeadifferenceday.com.