Homecoming royalty -- Craig Turner of Boutte, La., and Jennifer N. Arteaga, of Chicago, were the Southern Illinois University Carbondale 2008 Homecoming King and Queen. Photo by Steve Buhman Download Photo Here
October 13, 2008
Arteaga, Turner reign over Homecoming 2008
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- You can just call Jennifer N. Arteaga queen. Craig Turner is her king. Together, they reigned over Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Homecoming 2008 festivities Oct. 11. Student votes chose the royal couple.
Arteaga, of Chicago, is a senior majoring in automotive technology with a minor in marketing. She is a senator for the Undergraduate Student Government and a member of Sigma Kappa sorority.
Turner, of Boutte, La., is a four- year member of the SIUC football team and is active in Alpha Phi Alpha. He’s a senior majoring in kinesiology.
The court also included queen contestants:
• Kathleen Carmack, a junior from Villa Grove majoring in plant and soil science, specializing in agronomy. Carmack is a member of Sigma Alpha Agricultural Sorority and the COAS Ag-bassador team.
• Stephanie Lynn Dankenbring, a Collinsville senior majoring in speech communication with a public relations specialization. She’s a member of the Saluki Shakers dance team and Delta Zeta Sorority.
• Megan Neuhaus, a Hoyleton senior majoring in dental hygiene. Neuhaus is a member of the Student American Dental Hygiene Association and Delta Zeta Sorority.
• Kristin Timken, a junior dietetics major from Waterloo. Timken holds a 4.0 cumulative GPA and is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority.
Homecoming 2008 king contestants included:
• Kevin J. Alves, a Springfield senior majoring in journalism. Alves is a member of the American Advertising Federation and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.
• Steve Caulkins, a senior marketing major from Rock Island. Caulkins has accumulated more than 1,200 hours of community service.
• Justin Johnson of O’Fallon, a senior majoring in marketing. Johnson is a four-year recipient of the James E. Walker Scholarship and a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.
• Mike Reiter, an accounting major and senior from St. Louis. Reiter is area coordinator of the Student Life Advisor Leadership Program and a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
Shannon Page, 2007 homecoming queen, was on hand for the coronation along with the grand marshal and homecoming queen from 1957, Marilyn Eckert Church.
The 2008 SIUC Homecoming Parade winners include:
• Class A high school bands: First, Harrisburg High School; second, Carterville High School; third, Carbondale Community High School.
• Class B high school bands: First, Chester High School; second, Trico High School.
• Class C junior high/middle school bands: First, Harrisburg Middle School; second, Sparta Lincoln Middle School; third, Carbondale Middle School.
• Small float units: First, Student Center Craft Shop; second, Alpha Tau Omega; third, Student Alumni Council.
• Marching units: First, Fatal Fusion; second, Jackson County Girl Scouts; third, Black Women’s Task Force.
• Car/truck units: First, Marion Toyota; second, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD); third, People’s National Bank.
• Large float units: First, Alpha Gamma Rho; second, tie Theta Xi/Sigma Kappa and Alpha Gamma/Delta Chi; third, Alpha Eta Rho (aviation).
Student Programming Council coordinates the parade. Maurice Moore is director of the SPC Homecoming Committee.