September 05, 2008
Showcase series highlights opportunities at SIU
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Community college and high school students, along with the general public, can learn about bachelor’s degree and research opportunities at Southern Illinois University through the upcoming College to Careers Showcase Series.
With partial funding from the Illinois Board of Higher Education, SIU created SIU System Service Centers on seven community college campuses beginning in November 2007. The centers are now in place at John A. Logan College in Carterville, Rend Lake College in Ina, Shawnee Community College in Ullin, Southeastern Illinois College in Harrisburg, Kaskaskia College in Centralia, Southwestern Illinois College in Red Bud and Illinois Eastern Community College in Olney.
These centers serve as a bridge, helping community college students transition easily to SIU to complete their bachelor’s degrees. The SIU College to Careers Showcase Series is another tool to increase awareness of the educational opportunities, majors and career opportunities students can find at SIU to help them on their path to academic and career success.
Community colleges will host presentations by SIU faculty and students from specific colleges within the University in public theater settings. They will share first-hand experiences and information about what degrees SIU offers and the myriad of career opportunities awaiting graduates within their field of study.
“The SIU College to Careers Showcase Series provides an opportunity for community college students to learn more about the SIU degree programs as well as the promising career opportunities in high job growth industries available to SIU graduates from each college,” said Becky S. Robinson, the SIU project director. “Our goal is to provide our SIU faculty, staff and students an opportunity to tell their own stories about the great programs, courses and student research opportunities available at SIU, and to encourage more community college students to transfer to SIU after completing their associate degrees.”
The SIU College to Careers Showcase schedule for the fall 2008 semester includes:
Shawnee Community College at Ullin
• Wednesday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Agricultural Sciences.
• Wednesday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Liberal Arts.
• Wednesday, Nov. 19, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Southeastern Illinois College at Harrisburg
• Tuesday, Sept. 23, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Science.
• Wednesday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Education and Human Services.
• Thursday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Business.
Kaskaskia College at Centralia
• Wednesday, Sept. 10, 9 a.m.-noon, College of Liberal Arts and College of Education and Human Services.
• Wednesday, Oct. 15, 9 a.m.-noon, College of Agricultural Sciences.
• Wednesday, Nov. 5, 9 a.m.-noon, College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
John A. Logan College at Carterville (Officials will announce featured SIUC colleges soon.)
• Tuesday, Sept. 23, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 21, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Southwestern Illinois College at Red Bud
• Tuesday, Oct. 14, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Engineering and College of Mass
Communication and Media Arts.
• Monday, Nov. 3, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Liberal Arts and College of Education and
Rend Lake College at Ina - Time announcements for visits coming soon.
• Wednesday, Oct. 15, College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Illinois Eastern Community College at Olney
• Thursday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., College of Engineering.
Scheduling of additional SIU College Showcase Series forums is ongoing this fall and for the spring 2009 semester. For more information about the SIU System Service Centers or the SIU College to Careers Showcase Series, call 618/453-1902.