June 20, 2008
Media Advisory -- Arts Workshops for Teachers
Teachers will become students June 23-27 during a series of daylong workshops focusing on bringing the arts into the classroom. Held on the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus, the sessions include both practical information and a number of hands-on experiences.
Tuesday’s schedule, which focuses on music, movement and storytelling, offers a series of activities taking place in Pulliam Hall and Wham Education Building.
Among others, teachers can learn to:
• Use technology to compose music and lyrics, even if they have no musical skill ( 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 10:05 a.m., to 11:15 a.m., Wham 105)
• Integrate physics experiments with sound and literature ( 9 a.m. –10 a.m. and 10:05 a.m., to 11:15 a.m., Pulliam 118)
• Make a book and a book cover (11:50 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Wham 105, Pulliam 42 and Pulliam 310)
• Create a dance (1:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m., Wham 105)
• Paint a self-portrait with software (1:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m., Wham 112)
Reporters and photographers are welcome to observe. For more information or to get directions to the building locations the day of the workshops, see Dean Kenneth Teitelbaum in Wham 115.