May 09, 2008
Popular Sunset Concerts begin on June 12
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- It's the 30th year for an annual Carbondale tradition bringing together great summer sounds, friends and excellent entertainment. The 2008 Sunset Concert Series kicks off June 12 courtesy of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Student Center and Student Programming Council, the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District.
The popular weekly series begins with a return performance of the Chicago Rhythm and Blues Kings at 7 p.m., June 12, on the steps of Shryock Auditorium and continues for the next six weeks alternating between that locale and Carbondale's Turley Park. The two-hour concerts, all free and open to the public, will encompass a wide variety of musical styles from blues to rock, folk to country, reggae to punk pop and then some.
The complete 2008 Sunset Concert Series schedule, with each concert at 7 p.m., includes:
• June 12: Chicago Rhythm and Blues Kings, Chicago blues, Shryock, http://www.blindpigrecords.com.
• June 19: Sojourn, classic rock, Turley Park, http://www.sojournrocks.com.
• June 26: The NK Band, Afro-Latin groove rock, Shryock, http://www.nkband.com.
• July 3: The Greencards, underground folks, Turley Park, http://www.thegreencards.com.
• July 10: Junior, punk pop, Shryock, http://www.myspace.com/junior.
• July 17: Brian Wright and The Waco Tragedies, alternative country, Turley Park, http://www.brianwrightmusic.com.
• July 24: Gizzae, reggae, Shryock, http://www.gizzae.com.
Sponsors remind concertgoers that rules prohibit glass bottles, kegs, pets, and solicitation and authorities will strictly enforce underage-drinking laws. For more information, call the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or visit its Web site at http://www.spc4fun.com/.