April 29, 2008
University Housing honors 'Top Ten' students
CARBONDALE, Ill. — University Housing at Southern Illinois University Carbondale recently honored its "Top Ten" students for the 2007-2008 academic year.
These select students, who all live on campus, received the distinction at a reception in Grinnell Hall on April 13 in conjunction with SIUC's Honors Day ceremonies. Their selection was based on scholastic achievement, community service, residence hall involvement and campus involvement.
At the ceremony, University Housing also honored 379 of its residents who hold a cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher.
The recipients of the "Top Ten" Award, listed by hometown, are as follows:
- Bloomington: Elizabeth Nielsen, freshman, majoring in physiology. She is a member of the SIUC Leadership Council, the Marching Salukis and Saluki Pep Band and is a Saluki Advocate.
- Chicago: Khristina Dela Cruz, freshman, majoring in radio television, minor in public relations. Her achievements include being a member of the River Region News Team, a Saluki Ambassador, and a member of the Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society.
- Columbia: Jamie Toon, freshman, majoring in architecture, minor in environmental studies. She is involved in the American Institute of Architecture Students, Freedom by Design and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
- Gibson City: Lucas Pulley, freshman, majoring in mechanical engineering, minor in marketing. He is a member of the Student Alumni Council, is in the University Honors Program, and is the vice president of the Wrestling Club.
- Herrin: Gavin Murphy, junior, majoring in music performance and cinema. He is a Saluki Ambassador, a member of the Marching Salukis, and is the fundraising chair of Colleges Against Cancer.
- Mahomet: Jared Willard, junior, majoring in mechanical engineering, minor in math. His involvements include Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and he is an engineering peer mentor.
- Mattoon: Katherine Bruehler, senior, majoring in advertising, minors in marketing and sociology. She is the secretary of Saluki Advertising Agency, a resident assistant and hall council adviser.
- Rockford: Stacy Lemery, senior, majoring in foreign language and international trade and Spanish, minors in French and business administration. She has completed 253 hours of community service, is a student life adviser and is a member of Golden Key Honor Society.
- Villa Grove: Brian Spannagel, junior, majoring in agriculture education, minor in animal science. He volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and the Newman Catholic student ministry team and is a member of the Alpha Lambda Delta and Sigma Alpha Lambda honor societies.
- Duluth: Cory Dack, senior, majoring in English education and music. She is a resident assistant and campus tour guide, is in the University Honors Program and is a recipient of the Distinguished Senior Award.