April 09, 2008
April 17 showcase features student creations
CARBONDALE, Ill. — The creativity and talent of dozens of Southern Illinois University Carbondale students will be on parade — literally — at the April 17 fashion design and merchandising program's annual student showcase and runway fashion show.
Students from three of the University's School of Architecture programs will exhibit their work beginning at 6 p.m. in the J.W. Corker Lounge and Ballroom C of the Student Center. The showcase will feature projects created by architectural studies, interior design and fashion and merchandising students. Visitors can view a variety of stationary exhibits including garments, models, architectural drawings, interior designs and much more.
The original designs of fashion design and merchandising students will grace the runway in a 7 p.m. show in Ballroom D. Some of those award-winning designs have already garnered recognition for the talented students, notes Laura K. Kidd, fashion design associate professor. Juniors and seniors will kick off the show with couture geared toward a red palette with fashions they designed for the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Carbondale Alumnae Chapter's annual Red Extravaganza earlier this year.
Senior fashion design students will then present their original garment collections on the runway. The 10 graduating seniors will parade the collections they designed and handcrafted, each bearing their name of choice.
The event provides a unique opportunity to see the newest concepts in high fashion, free and open to the public. Kidd said more than 100 students will be involved in the show through their projects or modeling fashion creations.
The featured senior designers and the names of their collections, listed by hometown, include:
• Carbondale: Rachael Datzman with "Poise."
• Champaign (and Fuzhou, China): Feng "Vicky" Li with "Soul."
• Chicago: Jakina Hill with "Statement" and Herbert Williamson with "Allure."
• Chicago Heights: Victoria Bautista with "Urban St."
• Dieterich: Erica Hollinshead Stead with "Forme de Coeur."
• Lake Zurich: Kristie Berwanger with "Fashion Force."
• Marion: Emily Harris with "Bambina Bambola."
• Enola: Samantha Elliott with "Chiaroscuro."
• Seoul: Rina Park with "Wear's the Art?"