April 04, 2008
SIUC to recognize 2,105 students on Honors Day
CARBONDALE, Ill. — Southern Illinois University Carbondale will recognize 2,105 undergraduate students for academic excellence during Honors Day ceremonies on Sunday, April 13.
Requirements for honors vary by college, but include consideration of grade point average and cumulative credit hours earned. All students, regardless of their college, must have at minimum a 3.5 overall grade point average, though some colleges may have a higher grade point average requirement. Transfer students must bring a 3.5 overall grade point average from their originating school. Students receiving departmental awards and prizes are part of Honors Day recognition as well.
Each college hosts its own Honors Day convocation. The schedule follows. Except where noted, colleges hold their post-ceremony reception in the Student Center Ballrooms after the convocation.
• Agricultural Sciences, honoring 104 students, 1:30 p.m., Muckelroy Auditorium, Agriculture Building. The reception is in the Agriculture Seminar Room (Room 209) in the Agriculture Building.
• Applied Sciences and Arts, honoring 369 students, 1 p.m., Hiram H. Lesar Law Building Auditorium.
• Business and Administration, honoring 164 students, 1 p.m., Room 141, Lawson Building.
• Education and Human Services, honoring 473 students, 1 p.m., Shryock Auditorium.
• Engineering, honoring 177 students, 1:30 p.m., Room 171, Lawson Building.
• Liberal Arts, honoring 372 students, 1:30 p.m., McLeod Theater.
• Mass Communication and Media Arts, honoring 122 students, 1:30 p.m., Room 1065, Communication Building.
• Science, honoring 160 students, 1:30 p.m., Student Center Auditorium.
• Pre-Major Advisement and Center for Academic Success, honoring 164 students, 1 p.m., Furr Auditorium, Pulliam Hall.
By class, the Honors Day recognizes 431 freshmen, 257 sophomores, 440 juniors, 959 seniors and 18 seniors with degrees.