April 02, 2008
Media Advisory — Youth Government Day
Reporters and photographers are welcome to cover any and all events of the eighth Youth Government Day — sponsored by Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Paul Simon Public Policy Institute — on Saturday, April 5.
The free daylong event takes place at the Springfield Hilton Hotel Grand Ballrooms and the Capitol Complex. Several hundred high school and community college students and teachers from across Illinois are attending.
The event's goal is to inspire students to explore careers in government and public service.
The schedule is:
- 9 a.m. — Welcoming remarks, Mike Lawrence, director, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute.
- 9:10 a.m. — Opening remarks by DeJuan Kea, director of government and public relations, Illinois Principals Association.
- 9:30 a.m. — Panel discussion moderated by SIUC graduate student Chad Hoosier. Panelists feature state Rep. LaShawn Ford, D-Chicago; Monique Garcia, Chicago Tribune reporter; Katy Lawrence, manager, public policy and government affairs; US Steel, Lance Trover, spokesman, Illinois Republican Party.
- 10:45 a.m. — Breakout sessions at the State Capitol Building, including in the House and Senate chambers, and Room 212.
- 1:15 p.m. — Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, Springfield Hilton Hotel Grand Ballrooms.
- 2:30 p.m. — Tours of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, and the Old State Capitol.
For more information, contact Matt Baughman, assistant director of the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute at 618/201-0082, or visit http://www.paulsimoninstitute.siuc.edu/.