November 30, 2007
Media Advisory — Community Reading
Mix educational administrators from all over Southern Illinois, enthralled preschoolers and some really cool books and what do you get? It's Community Reading Week for the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Head Start program, Dec. 3-6.
Reporters, photographers and news crews are welcome to attend any of the readings.
Community involvement is a cornerstone of the Head Start philosophy and it's a two-way street. This year, educational leaders primarily from Jackson and Williamson counties, including superintendents, principals, special education directors and pre-kindergarten directors, will read to the children.
"The Head Start Community Reading Week increases awareness of our program and the children enjoy having special guests in their classrooms," said Cathy J. Reed, director of SIUC Head Start. "It provides the children with meaningful literacy activity and demonstrates community involvement to them. The community readers also enjoy their time with the preschool children."
The complete Community Reading schedule includes:
Monday, Dec. 3
• Carbondale Center, 1900 N. Illinois Ave.– Linda Meredith, superintendent of the Carbondale Elementary School District, at 9:30 a.m.
• Marion Center, 907 N. Vicksburg St.– Deborah Runion, principal of Washington School in Marion, at 9:30 a.m.
• Murphysboro Center, 9822 Illinois 149 – Carla Bunselmeyer, principal of Carruthers School in Murphysboro, at 9:30 a.m.
• Logan Preschool Head Start Co-Location Center, 700 Logan College Road at John A. Logan College in Carterville – Valerie Barko, associate dean for allied health and public service at John A. Logan College, at 9:30 a.m.
• Marion Center – Stephanie Dillard, director of Williamson County Special Education Co-op, at 2 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 4
• Carbondale Center – April Haar, principal of Unity Point School south of Carbondale, at 9:30 a.m.
• Johnston City Center– Gary Hernbeck, principal of Northside School in Herrin, at 9:30 a.m.
• Marion Center–– John Fletcher, principal of Jefferson School in Marion, and Jane Stiritz, principal of Lincoln School in Marion, both at 9:30 a.m.
• Murphysboro Center– Charles Hamilton, director of Tri-County Special Education Co-op, at 9:30 a.m.
• Johnston City Center, 901 Prosperity Ave.– Kris Grant, principal of Washington School in Johnston City, at 3 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 5
• Carbondale Center– Janet Ward-Broombaugh, director of Carbondale Elementary School District Pre-K, and Lori James-Gross, superintendent of Unity Point School south of Carbondale, both at 9:30 a.m.
• Marion Center– Michelle Baxter, coordinator of Williamson County Early Childhood Cooperative, at 9:30 a.m. and Amy Sanders, principal of Longfellow School in Marion, at 10:30 a.m.
Thurs., Dec. 6
• Murphysboro Center– Christopher Grode, superintendent of Murphysboro School District, at 9:30 a.m.
• Eurma C. Hayes Head Start Co-Location Center, 441 E. Willow St. in Carbondale– Barbara Grace, director of Southern Region Early Childhood Programs, at 3 p.m.