September 06, 2007
Media Advisory - Day of Service
Students from Southern Illinois University Carbondale will clean up and improve the region through various volunteer efforts on Saturday, Sept. 8, during the 13th annual SIUC Day of Service. Reporters, photographers and news crews will find good film and story opportunities observing the students' labors.
Students will gather in Ballroom D of the Student Center at 8:30 a.m. and disperse to locations throughout Jackson County. They'll conclude their day with free pizza and soda provided by Student Development's Saluki Volunteer Corps at the Student Recreation Center's Alumni Lounge about noon.
Here are the places the volunteers will be working and the best times to arrive:
• Touch of Nature Environmental Center, seven miles south of Carbondale on Giant City Road –Volunteers will meet at the administration building about 9 a.m. and go to various locations on the grounds clearing old trails, making new ones, removing old shrubs and planting new.
• 4-H Community Garden – Between 9:45 a.m. and noon, media can see volunteers working in the garden at the Jackson County University of Illinois Extension office, 402 Ava Road in Murphysboro. The garden's harvest will go to local food pantries.
• Cards for U.S. soldiers – Cards will be created for American soldiers, also at the same location and time as the Community Garden project is going on.
• Happy Factory – Making wooden toys for children in need at the SIUC Student Center Craft Ahop, 9:45 a.m.-noon.
• Beautify Southern Illinois – A campaign envisioned by SIU President Glenn Poshard to keep the campus and region clean and raise environmental awareness. Volunteers will pick up litter and clean up along Grand Avenue and Wall Street, the walking trail toward Illinois 13, and along South Illinois Avenue and adjacent streets, 9:45 a.m.-noon.
• Fall planting – Organized by Carbondale Main Street, to landscape and beautify downtown Carbondale presenting a positive image to residents and visitors. Workers will spruce up the town square area around the pavilion., 9:45 a.m.-noon.
For more information, contact Student Development at 618/453-5714.