April 30, 2007
Housing residents honored for academic success
CARBONDALE, Ill. – University Housing at Southern Illinois University Carbondale recently honored residents with a 3.5 or higher cumulative grade point average.
Of 3,445 students who live in University Housing, 767 earned the academic recognition, according to Kathie Lorentz, academic initiatives programming coordinator for University Housing.
Many students and family members attended a reception at Grinnell Hall for the announcement of the "Top Ten" University Housing students for the year. Selection criteria included scholastic achievement, community service and community and campus involvement.
The "Top Ten" University Housing academic honorees for 2006-2007, their major, class, and parents, listed by hometown, are:
• Alpha: Abigail Emily Rutledge, senior, recreation, Mark and Erika Rutledge.
• Bushnell: Jennifer Michelle Anderson, sophomore, majoring in psychology, minor in public relations, Doug and Carol Anderson.
* Crystal Lake: Joshua P. Sheehan, sophomore, majoring in outdoor recreation, minor in equine science, Patrick and Debra Sheehan.
• East Moline: Andrew John Dennhardt, freshman, majoring in zoology, minor in environmental studies, Eugene and Beri Dennhardt.
• Oakbrook Terrace: Matthew Douglas McIndoo, freshman, majoring in geology and physics, minor in mathematics, Joel and Shirley McIndoo.
• Peoria: Michelle Beth Bowers, junior, majoring in political science-pre-law, minor in speech communication, Tom and Jackie Bowers.
• Plano: Michael Helmers, junior, management, Patrick and Denise Helmers.
• Rockford: Stacy Lemery, junior, majoring in foreign language and international trade, minors in business administration and French, Kathi Kresol.
• West Dundee: Daniel Patrick Monaghan, freshman, majoring in secondary education, minor in English, John Monaghan and Debbie Scalzitti.
• Wheaton: Huong Ngoc Phu, freshman, undecided, Minn and Hahn Phu.