April 06, 2007
Head Start accepting applications
CARBONDALE — Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Head Start, a pre-kindergarten program for income-eligible families and children, is now accepting applications for the program year that begins in August 2007.
SIUC operates seven centers in Jackson and Williamson – in Carbondale, Carterville, Marion, Murphysboro and Johnston City.
Eligible children should be at least three years old by Sept. 1, but not yet old enough for kindergarten. The program also serves preschool-aged children with disabilities.
Eligible children must provide current physicals and immunizations as well as exposure screenings for tuberculosis and lead. Families must also provide proof of income.
There are openings for weekday morning, afternoon, or all-day sessions. Partial-day programs are free, and fees for full-day services are based on family eligibility and income. Free bus transportation is provided in designated service areas.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, call or visit one of the following locations:
- Carbondale Center, 1900 N. Illinois Ave., 618/453-2440.
- Eurma C. Hayes Child Care Center Co-Location, 441 E. Willow St., 618/453-6448, ext. 229 or 618/457-3302.
- John A. Logan Co-Location, Carterville, 618/997-2216, ext. 229 or 618/985-3741, ext. 8241.
- Malone's Co-Location, 108 Walnut St. 618/997-2216, ext. 229 or 618/985-3366.
- Marion Center, 907 N. Vicksburg, 618/997-4255.
- Murphysboro Center, 9822 Illinois Highway 149, 618/687-4433.
- Johnston City Center, 901 Prosperity Ave., 618/983-8459.
In addition to the ongoing weekday enrollment times, "Enrollment Events" are also scheduled in May.
- Marion Center, Tuesday, May 1, noon to 7 p.m.
- Johnston City Center, Tuesday, May 8, 4-7 p.m.
- Murphysboro Center, Tuesday, May 8, 5-7 p.m.
- Carbondale Center, Thursday, May 17, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
In addition, SIUC's Head Start administrative offices can be reached at 618/453-6448 or 618/997-2216. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weekdays.