February 09, 2007
Media Advisory — Maple Syrup Workshops
Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Touch of Nature Environmental Center is again holding maple syrup workshops for area school children during the next month. Reporters and photographers are welcome to cover tapping of the many sugar maples located in the dense woods surrounding the center, nine miles south of Carbondale.
Each three-hour program will look at the history, folklore and science behind making maple syrup. Organizers ask that media check with Touch of Nature prior to covering the workshops in the event that the weather forces rescheduling of a workshop.
For more information, contact Kate Hellgren, environmental education program coordinator, at 618/453-1122, ext. 250.
These public school workshops are scheduled:
- Monday, Feb. 12 — Tri-C Elementary School, Carterville, pre-kindergarten classes, 9 to 11 a.m., and 1 to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 13 — Sparta Home School, first through eighth grade, noon to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 15 — Longfellow Grade School, Marion, first grade, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 17 — Maple Syrupin' Pancake Breakfast and Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon. Rain date is Saturday, Feb. 24.
- Tuesday. Feb. 20 — Unity Christian School, Energy, fourth grade, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 21 — Unity Christian School, Energy, third grade, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 22 — Covenant Christian School, Carbondale, fourth grade, 9:30 to 12:30 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 23 — Harrisburg Middle School, sixth through eighth grades, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Monday, Feb. 26 — Carbondale Community High School, noon to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 27 — Carrier Mills Grade School, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 2 — Sacred Heart School, Du Quoin, kindergarten through fourth grades, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 6 — Lincoln Grade School, Johnston City, kindergarten and first grades, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 7 — Immanuel Lutheran Grade School, Murphysboro, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.