August 22, 2006
SIUC's annual Day of Service set for Sept. 9
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Students at Southern Illinois University Carbondale will help clean up and improve Southern Illinois next month when they participate in the 12th annual SIUC Day of Service.
Designed to raise student awareness of volunteerism and the educational value of community service, students will donate their services to several local groups and efforts beginning at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 9. The event kicks off in Ballroom B in the SIUC Student Center.
Students and registered student organizations interested in participating must pre-register for the event with Student Development, located on the third floor of the Student Center. The deadline to register is Friday, Sept. 1. Call 618/453-5714 for more information.
The event typically draws more than 200 students of various ages and backgrounds on campus. Both students and the community organizations they serve give the program high marks.
This year, students can sign up for the following activities or to help the following organizations:
• Beautify Southern Illinois, a campaign aimed at keeping the SIUC campus and region clean and at raising environmental awareness.
• The 4-H Community Garden in Murphysboro, which donates its annual harvests to local food pantries.
• The Happy Factory at the Student Center Craft Shop, where volunteers will make wooden toys for children in need.
• Make cards for American soldiers. This activity, sponsored by 4-H, involves making cards of appreciation for U.S. soldiers stationed around the world.
• Help with the fall planting, sponsored by Carbondale Main Street. This project involves helping landscape the downtown Carbondale area and presenting a positive image to city residents and visitors.
Increasing student involvement in community service, volunteer activities, government and programming is among the goals ofSouthern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint the University is following as it approaches its 150th anniversary in 2019.