May 03, 2006
Sunset Concerts get under way June 15
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A 27-year summer tradition kicks off on June 15 on the steps of Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Shryock Auditorium with the first of seven Sunset Concerts.
The free concerts alternate between the steps of Shryock and Turley Park on Carbondale's west side on Thursdays during June and July.
Each concert begins at 7 p.m. Here's the schedule:
• June 15: Roots Rock Society, reggae.
• June 22: Rico, Latin rock, Turley Park.
• June 29: Wayne Baker Brooks, blues, Shryock steps.
• July 6: Derek James, pop/rock, Turley Park.
• July 13: BlueGround UnderGrass, bluegrass, Shryock steps.
• July 20: Professor John, New Orleans rhythm and blues, Turley Park.
• July 27: Jag Star, rock/pop, Shryock steps.
Concert sponsors include SIUC's Student Programming Council, Student Center Special Programs and Center Events, the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District. The sponsors ask that concert-goers remember the rules: No underage drinking, no pets, no glass bottles and no kegs.
For more information, call the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or visit www.spc4fun.com.
Enhancing cultural outreach efforts is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint the University is following as it approaches its 150th anniversary in 2019.