May 03, 2006
SIUC students honored for volunteerism
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Twenty-two Southern Illinois University Carbondale students are recipients of the President's Volunteer Service Award in recognition of their commitment to serving others.
The students, all members of the Saluki Volunteer Corps, completed at least 100 hours of service in the past 12 months. Student Development Coordinator Mythili K. Rundblad submitted the documentation to the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation. The students received a letter signed by President Bush, a letter from the council and a certificate.
The council encourages citizens to improve their communities through volunteer service and civic participation. Individuals, families and groups that demonstrate outstanding volunteer service and participation over a 12-month period are eligible for the honor.
The students served as mentors to children through Big Brothers/Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club of Carbondale and volunteered at the Women's Center of Carbondale, Abundant Health Resource Clinic in Carbondale, local hospitals, blood drives and other activities.
Serving others is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint the University is following as it approaches its 150th anniversary in 2019.
The students receiving the award, listed by hometown, are:
• Allison S. Clark (909 W. Sycamore St.), a senior majoring in social work.
• Travis R. Davidson (5 Butternut Hill Drive), a senior majoring in management.
• Cecilia R. Herrera (1400 N. Illinois Ave.), a sophomore majoring in social work.
• Leslie N. McDonald (post office box listing), undeclared graduate student.
• Narcrisha S. Norman (2010 Evergreen Terrace Drive), a graduate student in mechanical engineering.
• Theo C. Sutton (1400 N. Illinois Ave.), a senior majoring in engineering technology.
• Tyrese J. Montgomery (951 N. Parkside Ave.), a freshman majoring in management.
• Haley E. Anderson (1100 Kratzinger Hollow Road), a senior majoring in psychology.
• Jamie B. Nash (1500 Jamestown Road), a sophomore majoring in history.
• Lucas E. Bremer (508 W. Lincoln), a senior majoring in liberal arts.
• Julie P. Koch (422 Berkley), a junior majoring in radio/television.
• Bianca N. Smith (3515 Laurel Lane), a sophomore majoring in administration of justice.
• Tiffany A. Heil (52 N. Ridgemoor Ave.), a senior majoring in recreation.
• Kori Summers (1603 Carlyle Road), a graduate student in social work.
• Sarah L. Henderson (2930 20th Place), a sophomore majoring in education.
• Fahran Robb (4590 Wren Road), a senior majoring in agricultural systems.
• Peyton B. Tanner (3573 Pick Road), a senior majoring in social work.
• Amanda C. Rabideau (13044 Paulton Road), a sophomore majoring in physiology.
• Sean Z. Goodin (1306 Fieldcrest Drive), a sophomore majoring in physiology.
• Kimberly D. Smith (3515 Laurel Lane), December 2005 graduate with a bachelor's degree in education.
• Brittany K. Watkins (1407 N. Milton), a senior majoring in psychology.
• Sarah J. Harmon (5103 Goethe Ave.), an undeclared graduate student.