April 18, 2006
SIUC hopes to hire new athletics director by July 1
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Nine individuals from on and off campus will work together to select the next athletics director for Southern Illinois University Carbondale. SIUC Chancellor Walter V. Wendler today named the committee he will chair.
"I think we can have a new athletics director on board by July 1," Wendler said. "Paul Kowalczyk has put a lot of effort into building our programs and we have a solid national reputation that in itself will attract excellent candidates."
Getting off to a fast start, Wendler said the committee will meet for the first time today (April 18) at 4 p.m. in Anthony Hall.
Wendler said he worked to put together a small, but diverse group of individuals who represent students, faculty and staff, friends, alumni and the community. "This is an important role that involves working with people on and off campus, and we have a committee that will be able to look at the position and our candidates from many angles," he said.
Other search committee members are:
• Harold Bardo, associate professor, MEDPREP (Medical Education Preparatory program for the School of Medicine), and past interim athletics director;
• Kerri Blaylock, softball coach, Intercollegiate Athletics;
• Nate Brown, president, SIUC Undergraduate Student Government;
• Greg Cook, Carbondale, community member;
• Sheri Hunter, president of the SIU Alumni Association;
• Kathy Jones, interim athletics director, Intercollegiate Athletics;
• Rickey N. McCurry, vice chancellor for Institutional Advancement; and
• Julie McDannel, administrative assistant II, Office of the Chancellor.
"The University does not plan at this time to use a search consultant," Wendler said, "but will discuss a process that encourages confidentiality, efficiency and the best outcome for Southern." Wendler said the committee would likely only release the name of the finalist.
SIUC's Athletics Director Paul Kowalczyk ‘s last day is May 5. He will become the athletics director at Colorado State University.
Providing assertive and deliberative leadership is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint the University is following as it approaches its 150th anniversary in 2019.