March 31, 2006
SIUC to recognize 2,037 students on Honors Day
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale will recognize 2,037 undergraduate students for academic excellence during Honors Day ceremonies on Sunday, April 9.
The students are currently undergraduates and have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.0) scale for SIUC coursework. For transfer students, the 3.5 grade-point average also applies to their total record. In addition, the students must have reached the benchmarks of 12, 45, 75 or 105 SIUC credit hours since the 2005 Honors Day determination.
Students receiving special awards and prizes also receive recognition on Honors Day.
Promoting excellence in undergraduate education is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.
Each college hosts its own Honors Day convocation. The schedule follows. Except where noted, colleges hold their post-ceremony receptions in the Student Center Ballrooms.
• Agricultural Sciences, 1:30 p.m., Muckelroy Auditorium, Agriculture Building
Reception: Agriculture Seminar Room (Room 209), Ag Building
• Applied Sciences and Arts, 1 p.m., Hiram H. Lesar Law Building Auditorium
• Business and Administration, 1 p.m., Room 161, Lawson Building.
• Education and Human Services, 1 p.m., Shryock Auditorium.
• Engineering, 1:30 p.m., Room A111, Engineering Building
• Liberal Arts, 1:30 p.m., McLeod Theater
Reception: Room 1032, Communications Building
• Mass Communication and Media Arts, 1:30 p.m., Room 141, Lawson Hall
• Science, 1:30 p.m., Student Center Auditorium
• Pre-Major Advisement and Center for Academic Success, 1 p.m., Furr Auditorium, Pulliam Hall