September 19, 2005
Red Cross office will assist hurricane survivors
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The American Red Cross this week will set up a temporary office at Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Student Center to assist Hurricane Katrina survivors now in Southern Illinois.
The office will be open from 2 - 6 p.m. on both Thursday, Sept. 22 and Tuesday, Sept. 27.
It will be located in Student Center Ballroom C and will be operated by volunteers from the Red Cross' Little Egypt Network in Herrin.
In addition to providing services to survivors, the Red Cross will also sign up individuals who are interested in taking part in Red Cross volunteer training sessions.
"The University is glad to offer its services to the American Red Cross and hurricane survivors," said Susan L. Davis, executive director of Media & Communication Resources. "Student Center staff has been very helpful in making this happen quickly."
Sandra Webster, director of the American Red Cross' Little Egypt Network, stressed the importance of hurricane survivors from declared disaster areas registering with all three of the following agencies: Federal Emergency Management Agency, the American Red Cross, and the Illinois Department of Human Services in the county in which they are staying.
Locations for Department of Human Services Family Counseling Centers in Southern Illinois and telephone numbers are:
- Alexander County -- 1401 Washington, Ave., Cairo. 618/734-0762.
- Franklin County -- 1602 N. Main St., Benton. 618/439-4351.
- Gallatin County -- 9525 Gold Hill Road, Shawneetown. 618/269-3128.
- Hamilton County -- Route 14 East, Box 146, McLeansboro. 618/643-2313.
- Hardin County -- Same as Pope County, listed below.
- Jackson County -- 342 North St., Murphysboro. 618/687-1705.
- Jefferson County -- 333 Potomac Road, Mount Vernon. 618/242-1040.
- Johnson County -- 803 Vine St., Vienna. 618/658-4261.
- Massac County -- 2301 Metropolis St., Metropolis. 618/524-2631.
- Perry County -- 314 N. Maple St., Du Quoin. 618/542-4714.
- Pope County -- 106 N. Market St., Golconda. 618/683-2921.
- Pulaski County -- 422 S. Blanche St., Mounds. 618/745-9411.
- Randolph County -- 870 Lehman Dr., Chester. 618/826-4559.
- Saline County -- 320 E. Raymond St., Harrisburg. 618/253-7161.
- Union County -- 1000 N. Main St., Anna. 618/833-2118.
- Williamson County -- 1107 W. DeYoung St., Marion. 618/997-6591.
Providing outreach efforts is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the long-range plan the University is following as it nears its 150th anniversary in 2019.