August 31, 2005
Beautify Southern Illinois seeks volunteers
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Volunteers will fan out throughout all of Southern Illinois on Saturday, Sept. 10, as part of the regional Beautify Southern Illinois campaign's "Signup to Cleanup" event.
The focus of the signup to cleanup event is to have every mile of Southern Illinois roads adopted by civic organizations, businesses and concerned citizens to make the region more attractive to potential employers and residents.
Glenn Poshard, former chair of the Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees, initiated the campaign. The Center for Environmental Health and Safety at SIU Carbondale is helping with the effort. Serving others and enhancing economic development in the region are among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.
Volunteers and organizations interested in joining the Beautify Southern Illinois campaign can sign up between 8 a.m. and noon to adopt an area in their county to clean and maintain throughout the year. Volunteers will meet at the following locations:
- Alexander County – Courthouse in Cairo in the small courtroom.
- Franklin County – West Frankfort VF Factory Outlet Mall.
- Gallatin County – Courthouse in Shawneetown.
- Hamilton County – Courthouse basement in McLeansboro.
- Hardin County – County courthouse in Elizabethtown.
- Jackson County – Carbondale Civic Center, 200 S. Illinois Ave., room 103.
- Jefferson County – Rend Lake College Market Place, Room 336, in Mt. Vernon.
- Johnson County – Forman Depot Vienna (Tourism Center).
- Massac County – Metropolis Community Center at 516 Superman Square.
- Perry County – City hall in Pinckneyville.
- Pope County – Courthouse in Golconda.
- Pulaski County – City hall in Mound City.
- Saline County – City hall in Harrisburg.
- Union County – City hall in Anna located at 103 Market St.
- White County – Senior Citizens building in Norris City.
- Williamson County – John A. Logan College main entrance foyer.
- Randolph County- Location to be announced in Sparta, Redbud, and Chester.
Throughout the year there will be four region-wide clean up days when people are encouraged to clean their adopted mile of highway. The first official clean-up day will be on Oct. 22.
For more information, contact 618/453-7180 or email email@example.com.
The signup to cleanup event serves one of the goals of the Beautify Southern Illinois Regional Campaign by developing a long-range strategy for keeping our major roadway systems clean and attractive.