August 18, 2005
Media Advisory – Students Return to SIUC
Reporters and photographers are welcome to cover the various events planned for Friday, Aug. 19, and Saturday, Aug. 20, to welcome new and returning students to Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Here's the schedule:
Friday, Aug. 19:
• New students move in to residence halls from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. In what has become an annual tradition, Chancellor Walter V. Wendler will be among the literally hundreds of campus volunteers helping students get settled into the residence halls. Wendler will leave his Anthony Hall office at 7 a.m. to begin making the rounds of University Park, Brush Towers, University Hall and Thompson Point.
• University Housing offers students and their families a break from moving in with free picnics between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. at areas between Schneider and Mae Smith halls, near University Park, in front of Lentz Hall at Thompson Point and at University Hall.
• Welcome Fest, 7 p.m., SIU Arena. Chancellor Wendler will serve as host of this fun evening that will include remarks from Carbondale Mayor Brad Cole. There will be drawings for a variety of items, including an iPod shuffle, papasan chair, gift certificates, Amtrak tickets to Chicago, and more. Representatives of more than 100 business and organizations from the campus and community will be on hand with information and give-aways.
Saturday, Aug. 20:
• Returning student move-in, residence halls, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• "Meet Me on Main Street" scavenger hunt and welcome celebration, 2-6 p.m., Town Square Pavilion, downtown Carbondale. Live music, free food, free information and business open houses.