August 01, 2005
Week of Welcome kicks off SIUC's fall semesterCARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale welcomes new and returning students with a full array of activities.
Beginning Friday, Aug. 19, a variety of events will welcome students to campus for the fall semester, which begins Aug. 22.
Highlights of the annual "Week of Welcome" include:
Friday, Aug. 19:
* New students move in to residence halls. To minimize waiting times, University Housing asks that students and their families follow this schedule: Last name begins with letters A-G, 7-9 a.m.; H-O, 9:30 a.m.-noon; P-Z, noon-2: 30 p.m.; open move-in, 2:30-4 p.m.
* Campus office hours, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
* Student ID's, second floor of the Student Center, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Campus and community tours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; meet at the main entrance to the Student Center.
* New student picnic at four University Housing move-in locations, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. New students and their families may take a break from moving in and enjoy free food at areas between Schneider and Mae Smith halls, near University Park, in front of Lentz Hall and at University Hall.
* Saluki Family Association Reception; 3-4 p.m., Student Center Old Main Lounge. Parents and family members of new students may attend a reception and ice cream social. Learn how to stay connected to SIUC.
* Student Life Advisor/Student Resident Assistant Meet and Greet; 4:15-5:15 p.m., residence hall floors and Student Center.
* Welcome Fest, 7 p.m., SIU Arena. Chancellor Walter V. Wendler serves as host. Learn the SIUC fight song and alma mater. Learn more about campus and the community. Participate in great activities and contests. Free food and prizes. Meet the Marching Salukis, shakers, cheerleaders and the Saluki mascots. Families are encouraged to attend. Sponsored by: the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce, Carbondale Main Street, local business owners and various departments, New Student Programs, Saluki Athletics and the University Programming Office.
Saturday, Aug. 20:
* Returning Student Move-In, residence halls, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Student ID's, second floor of the Student Center, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
* University Bookstore, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Pick up textbooks and purchase Saluki apparel.
* Academic orientation at individual colleges, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
* SOAR program, 1-4:30 p.m., Student Center Ballrooms. This make-up session is for those unable to attend previously. For more information or to register call 618/453-1000.
* "Meet Me on Main Street" scavenger hunt and welcome celebration, 2-6 p.m., Town Square Pavilion, downtown Carbondale. Live music, free food, free information and business open houses. Transportation will be available from the Student Center to Town Square.
* Making College Count and hypnotist Rich Aimes, 7:30 p.m., Student Center Ballrooms. Making College Count is a free interactive presentation for all first-year students. There will be free gift bags. Hypnotic fun with Aimes begins immediately after the interactive session.
Sunday, Aug. 21:
* Student Recreation Center Tours, coordinated by student life advisors, all afternoon.
* Student Life Advisor Class Location Tours, coordinated by student life advisors, all afternoon.
* Student ID's, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., second floor of the Student Center.
* InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Luau Beach Party, 6-8 p.m., campus lake beach. Open to all, free food and music.
* First Residence Hall Meeting, 8-9 p.m., residence halls and Student Center.
Thursday, Aug. 25:
* First Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Student Center. This is a free event designed to inform students about services available throughout the Student Center.
Sunday, Aug. 28:
* Sport Fest 2005, noon-6 p.m., lower Arena playing fields. Events include tug-o-war, volleyball, flag football, softball, dodge ball and home run derby.
* Beach Bash, 6-8 p.m., Campus Beach. Free swimming, sand volleyball and free food.
For more information call New Student Programs at 618/453-1000.