July 15, 2005
Students attend SIUC's jazz improv camp
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Young jazz instrumentalists eager to polish their off-the-cuff musical performances attended Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Jazz Improv summer camp, an intensive week-long event held June 19-25.
Each student concentrated on combo rehearsals, jazz theory and improvisation, jazz history, individual instrument classes and playing big band tunes and attended live musical performances on and off campus offered through the Southern Illinois Music Festival.
The annual summer camp drew 15 participants. Faculty members from the School of Music in the College of Liberal Arts organized all rehearsals and lessons.
Offering education-related camps is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.
Camp participants (by hometown) were:
• Matthew W. DiLalla, a junior at Carbondale Community High School, son of Dave and Liz DiLalla.
• Justin R. Stoncius, a junior at Carbondale Community High School, son of Richard G. and Margaret A. Stoncius.
• Connie Farhang, a junior at Carbondale Community High School, daughter of Kambiz Farhang and and Sandra Ross.
• John A. Stemper, a sophomore at Carbondale Community High School, son of Frank L. and Mary L. Stemper.
• Stefan A. Santiago, a senior at Carbondale Community High School, son of Pedro E. Santiago and Mary E. Sestak. (Photo 1)
• Jonathan R. Swager, a sophomore at Glenwood High School, son of Ronald R. Swager and Susan Jane Sarwinski. (Photo 2)
• Brian N. Miller, a senior at Kokomo High School, son of Russell L. and Karen L. Miller. (Photo 3)
• Kevin Durfee, a senior at Marion High School, son of Karen L. Durfee.
• Maximilian Martini, a junior at Marion High School, son of Steve and Gayla Martini.
• Benjamin A. West, a senior at Marion High School, son of Kenneth A. and Veronica M. West. (Photo 4)
• Kristopher L. Whitlock-Horecker, a junior at Carbondale Community High School, son of Julie Horecker. (Photo 1).
• Brandin C. Bovay, a sophomore at Nashville High School, son of Thomas D. Bovay and and Karen E. Crask.
• Joseph A. Hessling, a sophomore at Nashville High School, son of Jimmie L. and Priscella S. Hessling.
• David I. Pohcek, a sophomore at Nashville High School, son of Robert W. and Susan A. Pohcek. (Photo 5)
• Noah D. Butler, a freshman at Trico High School in Campbell Hill, son of David J. Butler and Patricia A. Spangler. (Photo 6).