May 23, 2005
Blues open Sunset Concerts on campus June 16
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The 27th season of the always-popular Sunset Concerts opens Thursday, June 16, on the steps of Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Shryock Auditorium.
The free concerts alternate between the steps of Shryock and Turley Park on Carbondale's west side on Thursdays during June and July.
Each concert begins at 7 p.m. Here's the schedule:
• June 16: Nora Jean Bruso, blues, Shryock steps.
• June 23: Dutch Henry, roots rock/alternative, Turley Park.
• June 30: The Pipe Circus, funk/jam, Shryock steps.
• July 7: Shevy Smith, acoustic rock, Turley Park.
• July 14: Robert Cornelius 7, R&B/jazz, Shryock steps.
• July 21: Fonn Mor, Irish rock, Turley Park.
• July 28: Gizzae, reggae, Shryock steps.
Concert sponsors include SIUC's Student Programming Council, Student Center Special Programs and Center Events, the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District. The sponsors ask that concert-goers remember the rules: No underage drinking, no pets, no glass bottles and no kegs.
For more information, call the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393.Enhancing cultural outreach efforts is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.